Microsoft Outlook 2010 is not fully compatible with Office 365 and require some extra help when setting up Office 365 email accounts. The problem starts right from initial email account setup in with a Outlook 2010 password prompt appearing. Even if you enter correct password it will keep re-appearing and won’t allow to setup your account. Below are possible solution for this issue.
Solution 1: Office 365 Desktop Setup Tool for Office 2010 and Office 2007
Microsoft has released a tool setup Office 365 in older versions of such as Outlook 2010 and 2007.
- Download Office 365 Desktop Setup Tool for Office 2010 at, https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=50360.
- Run the setup and follow the instructions.
- During setup, sign in again with your work or school account.
- Office 365 desktop setup checks your system configuration, and you’ll see options for configuring your desktop applications.
- After you select your desktop applications, click Continue to finish up.
- When the desktop setup finishes restart your computer.
Solution 2: Delete stored credentials from credential manager
Already existing credentials stored on the computer can cause conflicts when configuring Outlook 2010.
- Open control panel > credential manager > windows credentials
- Remove any Outlook credentials
Solution 3: Update for Microsoft Outlook 2010 (KB2553248)
Microsoft has released an update for Microsoft Outlook 2010. This update provides the latest fixes for the 32-bit and 64-bit editions of Outlook 2010. This seems to resolve many issues including password prompt and Office 365 mailbox support.
Solution 4: Manually set up Office 365 email
This would be the last option if all attempts has failed to setup Office 365 email on Outlook 2010. This solution use IMAP to setup Office 365 email in outlook and some features may be unavailable.
- Select the Manually configure server settings check box
- Enter username and password along with below incoming and outgoing server details.
IMAP Server Settings
The following are the incoming and outgoing IMAP server settings for Office 365.
|Setting||IMAP (incoming)||SMTP (outgoing)|